The Albion returned to league action, following their “Marcus Lipton” cup exit to Battersea Park Rangers. The game was played on one of the nicer pitches in the league, over at Dulwich Sports Club, against league leaders “SWAG”.

The Alex. A pub not a person.

The morning started off in bizarre fashion and with a hive of activity on the Albion Wattsapp group. New signing Marc Ferrer had not made the pre-arranged meet at the “Alex” on Clapham Common and whilst there was a tiny amount of concern for Marc’s wellbeing, we were more worried about having a play the game with 10 men.

Unfortunately, last minute signing and Albion stalwart Dave McPhee, himself pulled out on Saturday, following a mysterious illness. Early reports that McPhee might have suffered a split anus, following an unlucky “biking accident” have not been confirmed.

Marc eventually turned up at the ground, safe and sound. More on this later.

The game eventually got underway, after the lads had warmed up on no less than 3 different pitches.

The Albion started brightly, creating a number of chances and eventually going one up, after a fine through ball from Haz set Chaz free and in on goal. Showing no signs of last season’s “yips”, Chaz smashed the ball into the far corner, taking his tally to 3 for the season.

SWAG soon equalised with a more than dubious goal. The ball was pumped from deep into the treacherous wind, Stew headed the ball back to Luke in goal, who jumped and claimed with both hands. Only the onrushing SWAG striker to clatter into Luke, causing him to drop the ball and the striker to poke home for 1-1. No foul?!?

The wind was starting to cause real problems for both sides, with it being end to end stuff but with not much football being played.

In one of the few remaining incidences of quality, “wee” Carlile threaded through “younger” Carlile with Haz eventually lobbing the goalie and Albion retaking the lead for 2-1.

Unfortunately, the half ended at 2-2 when Albion centre back Stew let the SWAG left winger in for a tap in around Luke. Bugger.

2-2 at half time and a few words of encouragement shouted into the wind.

Not much to report on the second half! The Albion didn’t really come out, with the game descending into a scrap, however with SWAG showing quality up front and their striker completing his hat-trick with their 3rd and 4th goals to win, 4-2.

“Man of the Match” was straightforward. Haz and Chaz tied second with 2 votes each but it was goalie Luke who won “MOM” with an outstanding performance, making numerous saves, some even described as “Walteresque”.

“Henri Leconte” was a similar walkover. All votes went to the “winner”, apart from one for their #14, AKA “Thunderbirds Man”, “Rubber Lips” or “Mr Angry”.

The remaining 8 votes all went to Marc for confusing “Alex” the pub with a team mate, not meeting everyone at Clapham Common and causing those waiting for him to be 20 minutes late.

  1. No comments yet.
(will not be published)